Well, I cleaned up my map as well as I could, though you might not be able to tell looking at it. I was going to add color, but I think that made it too “computery”, so I’m leaving it black and white.
The purpose for creating this map was to help me visualize the journey my character is going to go on. This acts as a sort-of outline in that as you move along the map you move along in the plot. This is a rough draft and there aren’t proper place names yet, as I haven’t thought that stuff up yet (that’s what draft 1 of the story is for).
Making this map helped me think of bits of the story I still need to add (conflict!) and I’m working on that. Overall, it was a fun process.
My map making process:
- Draw Draft 1 in pencil on plain white printer paper
- Draw Draft 2 in Sharpie or whatever dark, black marker (scans better)
- Scan in the image
- Fix things up in Photoshop (or whatever image editing software) duplicating items such as trees on the computer rather than by hand
- Print the map on “special paper” (I will do this when I get home)
- Post to the blog and hope not to make a fool of myself